Thursday, October 4, 2012

What's the time commitment to do an Ironman Triathlon?


Holy cow does it really take 40 hours per week to train for an Ironman triathlon? How long 6 months, 9 months or 12 months? Okay chill out... Yes you must dedicate time to train for an Ironman triathlon. The first question you need to ask is "What's my outcome?" What are you looking to achieve? How you perform on race day shouldn't be a surprise. Your training is a direct reflection of your race results.

Here's the really great news. You don't have to sacrifice your life to do an Ironman Triathlon. I'm married (yes you can be married and do a triathlon), father of 6 kids (yes I realize I have basketball team with the sixth man) (just for the record at the time of my first Ironman I had only 5 kids (slacker... I know) and I own my own business (www.darryljarmosco.com). So let me ask you a question, do you think I have 40 hours to spend on training. Absolutely NOT! You think I'm BSing you? I'm not because one of my Ironman goals was to become an Ironman without losing my family. My relationships with my wife and kids is a priority.

So you may ask, "Well what is the time commitment for an Ironman Triathlon?" Get clear on what kid of race you'd like to experience. I do believe there is a minimum commitment and training. If you want to become a qualified Ironman finisher you must get through the finish line under 17 hours. So if that's the case you may be able to train for 10hrs a week for 4 months. Here's the key to your success - find a training program that meets your situation. You'll always find the triathlete who lives for the sport and races every weekend and trains every day. Triathlons are their life. That's great for them just don't compare you to them.

Ironman triathlon is a personal quest to finding out what's possible. It will challenge you in ways you'd never imagine. Your body, mind and soul will be up and down through the training. You'll question why you decided to allocate a piece of your life to do an Ironman triathlon. In the moment it may not make sense at all. Don't get to far a head of your self.

I'd practice daily focus and then let go and appreciate. Basically I'd stay focused on the days training program, execute and appreciate I didn't have to workout until the next day. I found this soothing and relaxing. Instead of focusing on the the entire weeks training program. Yes it's very important to be organized and have your training scheduled out a week or two. Just don't dwell on it and think bad thoughts.

Yes you need to be committed to do an Ironman triathlon and the payoff is indescribable. The man you started the Ironman said, "You can quit and they don't care but you'll always know - this is the Ironman."Stay focused on what time you want to commit and you'll have an amazing experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment